Can you recommend a guide book?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, can anyone recommend a good guide book or instruction manual that explains domestic electric circuits in an easily understandable way i.e not full of maths? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Depends on what you are trying to do.

For simple stuff, like an additional light, socket etc then this is an easy DIY read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Which-Book-...8172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347885660&sr=8-1
Also a lot of this is explained in the lovely WIKI on this site.

For anything more complicated (ie changing fuseboard, adding circuits, electricity in gardens, bathrooms or kitchens) then you would have to comply with a heap of regulations and have calibrated test equipment.
AND you'd need to do a heap of maths.
For this sort of thing its better to use a registered electrician who may let you do some of the grunt work, under his guidance.

Have a read of the documents on the WIKI too //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

Have a look at all the stuff in the diynot wiki via the tab at the top of the page!

Simple stuff can be found in Collins book of DIY or the reader digest version.

For the more detailed stuff buy a copy of the on site guide.

As for not needing anything that requires formula or maths, well to understand it all there's a quite a bit of math required for such things as volt drop, cable distances, resistance, ohms law etc, etc.

Sponsored Links
Yep, the depths of electrical engineering maths are a bit of a nightmare compared to ohms law which is in essence what most domestic calculations are based on.
I remember a book which was written by someone on here which went into domestic installations but I can't remember his name - might have been to the 16th edn regs tho (and definitely wasn't by Mr Cockburn)

As for not needing anything that requires formula or maths, well to understand it all there's a quite a bit of math required for such things as volt drop, cable distances, resistance, ohms law etc, etc.
But it's all easy.

But it's all easy.

For us old timers that did maths, times tables and algebra. (and got an a in maths and physics at GCE).

They don't teach algebra or times tables at the moment (they will revert back c/o the new exams announced this afternoon).

I would take a look at this:
domestic wiring Scaddan
It's not a book I have personally seen, but I understand it to be an updated version of the of Scaddan's electric wiring domestic 12th edition, which went over most circuits you'd expect in a domestic install, a little bit of circuit design so some calcs but no heavy stuff and stuff you should be made aware of if you intend to install electrics.

For us old timers that did maths, times tables and algebra. (and got an a in maths and physics at GCE). They don't teach algebra or times tables at the moment (they will revert back c/o the new exams announced this afternoon).
In context ('domestic' electricians), it's only the most elementary concepts of algebra, and very basic arithmetic (or a calculator!) which matter - and I personally don't think that anyone should be let out of school, let alone allowed into any trade or profession remotely related to technology, engineering or science (or most other things!), until they understand those very basic concepts ... and if they have to be flogged until they understand those concepts, then so be it :evil:

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back