Can you repack a trv insert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking caleffi trv, around the actuator pin. I have a couple of old valves, which were not leaking, and inserts came out without any problem.
I cannot source new inserts from caleffi in uk (why not is a good question) and freezing pipe is diificult. Draing gravity fed system very long winded due to heat store and solid fuel gravity fed range...so insert replacement quickest option.

Any reason why I shoulnt use an old but sound second hand insert?

Alternative is to repack the trv in situ...any reason why this could not be done? And what would it be packed with...ptfe and some form of grease?

Any pointers appreciated.

D4.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Might work..there is only one vent on the heat store, and i can isolate the header tank supply to the heat store. . Had considered the insert replacement tool...excelkent idea but not at that price.

Out of interest, took the trv insert apart..simple spring holding thr valve open, but no identifiable sealing mechanism for the pin. Guess the plastic valve top acts as the gland...which means failure inevitable at some stage.

Will replace the entire valve...goinfg to use Danfoss, becuase I can get replacement inserts...and the tool to swap them out!

An old trick to bung up the tank outlet is a potato.....

Thanks for all replies. Job turned into a disaster...decided to change valve in entirety, olive puller got stuck with olive on very end of pipe...which then twisted as I applied too much torque.

However, i did discover after the event that you can get a replacement caleffi spindle seal (The top plastic nut which holds the valve spring in place).

Available from Altecnic in Stafford. Having removed and dismantledv the valve, it is clear that these can be replaced without freezing or draing the system...the amount of water released is no greated than the leak around the spindle. MASSIVE time safer!

Ps..you cannot vacuum seal a 1500l heat store. Tried, but it became clear the tank was likely to implode! So managed to freeze the pipe just long enough to cock the job up!

Attachments

• 20231210_113505.jpg
    20231210_113505.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back