Canadian maple floorboards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got 12 squ metres for just about nothing and want to use them in a conservatory that I'm about to build. They are 25mm thick and hard as fook.
I'll hire a floor sander - but what sort of job can I expect from it? I tried a test with my belt sander and it took an age and a hot sander to make any impression. Has anyone sanded similar?

Sponsored Links
Get a local timber mill to put them thru a planer thicknesser before you lay them.Will look like new

I can't get them milled as they have nails in them - they are good quality boards though out of a prestigious building demolished in the 80s.

Got the whole lot for about 20 quid.

Sponsored Links
Depends really on the floor sander you're about to hire. How heavy is it, does it have a continues belt or sanding sheets (most hire centres have the latter, which I would stay away from).
Maple is a tough wood species, so it will take a heavy belt sander to get any decent result.

Those nails in the wood, hopefully not on the surface - they will rip any sand paper to bits and might even damage the drum

Yes I'll punch them out backwards before laying them. Last time I hired a sander it was like a big belt sander about the weight of a decent lawnmower. It went across pine boards in no time, but as you say - the maple is a different story altogether. You can't mark it with your thumb nail and it bends nails without pilot holes. I'm hoping that floorboard clamps might help me get it laid but it may even be tough for those.

I can't get them milled as they have nails in them - they are good quality boards though out of a prestigious building demolished in the 80s.

Got the whole lot for about 20 quid.
Remove nails first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back