cannot drain central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i need to drain the system so i can fit a smaller radiator in the kitchen. i have removed the rad but i cannot get any water to drain from the drain point. i have undone it fully, nothing, i tapped it to see if it was seized, nothing.... help :).
there is another drain point but upstairs and that drains out ok.....i'm stuck.

thanks
mart

Sponsored Links
Non draining drain points are a common problem. The washer inside will be stuck. These washers can be replaced once you've drained out the system. If you have already removed the radiator, presumably the radiator valves are still attached to the pipes. You can attach a hose to a radiator valve and drain the system by opening the valve.

Is it a radiator valve with drain off built in? A lot wont work if the rad valve is turned off

Isolate the rad your removing. Open the vent to release the pressure. Close the vent put a couple of towels under the valve. Then undo the nut if you have an extra pair of hands then get that person to cover the hole while you do the other side. Carry outside empty the drain the majority of water through the rad valves.

Nath

Sponsored Links
Is it an unvented system? If it is, you gotta open a vent point up somewhere, or the water will just hang up.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back