Cannot remove leaking waterfall tap head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I'm trying to fix a really bad leaking waterfall mixer tap the same as the link below. I didn't even know taps had cartridges till I started reading threads on here, I've tightened everything else up I can so assuming I need 2x cartridges one for each tap. I've taken the grub out of the back of each tap and taken out the little screw with an Allen key. However I cannot get the tap head off to access the cartridge, it won't budge! Will there be more hidden screw's I'm not seeing? Hoping someone has fixed one of these style taps before! Thanks all!

https://www.manomano.co.uk/catalogu...h-shower-mixer-tap-17473663?model_id=17471665

Attachments

• orchard-derwent-waterfall-bath-shower-mixer-tap-P-9054938-17791263_1.jpg
    orchard-derwent-waterfall-bath-shower-mixer-tap-P-9054938-17791263_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 350
Sponsored Links
After removing the grub screw ,it is only limescale that keeps the splines of the valve and tap handle together. Pouring boiling hot water over the handle can cause expansion ,enough to aid seperation.

Thanks, tried the kettle and it didn't work. I'm starting to scratch and chip the metal now trying to leverage it off with a screw driver wrapped in cloth. Neither tap will budge.

Thanks, tried the kettle and it didn't work. I'm starting to scratch and chip the metal now trying to leverage it off with a screw driver wrapped in cloth. Neither tap will budge.
Replace the taps...not worth chasing about after cartridges usually...

Sponsored Links
How old is the tap ?
A wallpaper stripper ,or similar ,in between body and under side of handle ,used as a lever,at different points around the circumference may work ? Sometimes it's a real pain to get them off and a new tap is the only solution.

Nightmare, are all bath mixer taps the same width for the pipe fittings? Thanks

Ah, so I found out why is wasn't coming off. They unscrew, I couldn't unscrew them as they were so close to the wall, I've basically ruined one levering it off ! So beware anyone with mixer taps.

Eh ? The tap lever unscrews off the valve ?
Can you show us a pic of it disassembled please ?
It's a quarter turn valve ,how can it screw off ,I am intrigued !

So that screw was in some rubber inside the tap, and I've stripped/ pulled off the rubber so the tap handle is useless now

Attachments

• DSC_1007.JPG
    DSC_1007.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 880
Thanks for the pic ,can't work out how the tap handle unscrews from that. Still appears to be pulled up and off once the grub screw is removed.
New tap time !

Look inside the tap head itself, you will see a (white) plastic liner/adapter, it's that which is screwed to the valve.

The grub screw you took out holds the metal lever tight onto to the plastic adapter, and the screw holds the plastic adapter onto the valve and when the grub screw is removed then the lever should just pull up and off. That would then leave the plastic adapter with the screw at the top. You would then loosen the screw and the plastic adapter should then pull up and off the tap splines.

The inside of the lever has probably corroded and swollen onto the white plastic adapter, so would have been stuck solid.

I've gone down the new tap route anyway, and fitted successfully. Thanks for your advice guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back