cannot remove lightbulb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i'm moving out of my flat shortly and have been replacing all the lightbulbs. one of them was broken when i first moved in but i didn't bother to mention it because i thought i'd just replace it myself. however, it's in the spare room and i never got round to it. last night i went to get the lightbulb out and noticed the glass of the lightbulb was smashed and also the lightbulb itself was cracked in half. i'm presuming the previous tenant had difficulty getting it out or something? anyway, i cannot figure out how to get this lightbulb out, but i also tried removing a lightbulb from one of the working ones just to see if that lightbulb was perhaps stuck but i couldn't get any of them out so i'm presuming there is a technique. i have attached a photo if that helps!

photo.jpg

thanks,

nicky

Sponsored Links
Makes sure the power is off first.

Pulling the whole lighting unit out might make this easier - gently pull either side of the bezel until it comes out - then depending on the type of unit you should either be able to pull the light out MR16 or turn anti-clockwise for GU10 bulbs.

thanks for the quick reply! sorry to sound ridiculously ignorant but which bit is the bezel? the outer metal ring or the ring inside that is holding in the bulb? thanks again for the reply!

thanks for the quick reply! sorry to sound ridiculously ignorant but which bit is the bezel? the outer metal ring or the ring inside that is holding in the bulb? thanks again for the reply!
Outer metal ring.
Look at the fitting instructions here (not the same as yours but similar) and you can see how the internal springs operate.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/530358.pdf

Sponsored Links
brilliant thankyou!!! managed to get it out after getting loads of plaster falling in my eyes! why would they make such an awkward light to change the lightbulb!

why would they make such an awkward light to change the lightbulb!
Light fittings like that are designed by people who have never installed any electrical items and have no idea about any building or construction work.

The primary considerations are appearance and to make them as cheaply as possible. Other factors such as installation and usability are not considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back