Lightbulb fixing replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The lightbulb holder in the bedroom has broken so the bulb doesn't stay screwed in. A bit of black plastic fell out, see photo attached. I need to get this replaced, how do I go about doing this. What's the actual part I need (part name?). And when it comes to replacing, is it a straight forward job I can do myself or would I need an electrician?

Any advice appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160116_123124.jpg
    IMG_20160116_123124.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 294
Sponsored Links
no lampshade, it never had one when I moved in. Is it best to turn of electrics before attempting the replacement? I'll see if it unscrews. Thanks

Loos like a regular lampholder.

You may or may not be able to change this, depends on your level of competence, but it is a very simple job for most DIYers.

MAKE SURE THE POWER IS COMPLETELY OFF.

Whether you replace the flex is up to you.

If you buy a lampholder, be sure you DON'T get the type with a switch built in. These are for table/standard lamps and are not suitable.

Sponsored Links
you must turn off the electricity, because a lighting rose always has live wires, even when you turn off the lightswitch.

You could post a picture of your fuse box, it may be possible to turn off just some of the electric, obviously the safest way for a novice is to do it in daylight and turn off the fusebox,

Thanks, was just going to do that. I've ordered the pendant. Photo attached of the fuse box. Which switch do I turn off? I'm afraid if i turn the blue switch off it will trigger the house alarm off and I'm going to get some pretty annoyed neighbours!

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_142012.jpg
    IMG_20160228_142012.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 305
If that is the only box, then turning off the one s with "B6" and "06" on, should isolate all the lights in the house, also with the bedroom switch off, then the chance of anything in the light still being live would be very slim .
The only 100% way to be sure would be by testing at the light, proberly out of your scope

Personally I feel its easier to connect the new holder and flex into the old top rose, than to fit just the lampholder, I would turn the B6 breakers off and twist the ceiling bit gently anti clockwise, once unscrewed you will see how its connected.
if in doubt post another pic of the inside , you should see 2 screw terminals and take note of where colour brown and blue goes and how the wire hooks round two plastic pegs to take the strain of the lampholder weight, you will need a small flat 3mm or 4mm screwdriver for the 2 terminals

if i turn the blue switch off it will trigger the house alarm
It should not do that, as the alarm system should run on its battery for an hour or so. If your alarm sounds when the power goes off then you should look at replacing the back up battery in your alarm system! (another DIY job!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back