Falling lightbulbs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help! Two of the ceiling lightbulb fittings in my house have gone west, the curved section that holds the bulb has broken. The one in my middle room, which is a dangling one with a flex simply needs the socket unit replacing, which should be simple, and the one in my kitchen, pictured here, which is more complicated. (The bulb, an energy-saving one, simply fell out and shattered on the floor! Gave me quite a shock! Not an electric one, thankfully.)

DSC09535.jpg
[/url]

I have purchased a "Batten" holder from Wickes

DSC09543.jpg

What I want to do is cannibalise it to screw it in place on to the existing fitting, as I don't want to disturb the wiring. BUT. I can't dismantle it! How do you get the back off? I have managed to unscrew the cup section, and the ring behind it, but that hasn't helped to get the back plate off so I can get to the back of the socket.

DSC09538.jpg

It's probably one of those ridiculously easy things like falling off a log to some of you, but to me it is a complete bafflement. Please help. I can't afford an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Hold the white plastic bit behind what you have already unscrewed and turn the outer part of the fitting.

Thank you pukka, I have tried and tried but it won't budge. :cry:

Sponsored Links
the outer white section unscrews from the brown bit, which leaves the middle white bit in place.

Well, I have just tried again wearing rubber gloves to get a grip but it still won't move. Perhaps it's cross-threaded or something. I'm going to take it back tomorrow and get them to sort it or give me another one.

Thanks guys.

Thank you pukka, I have tried and tried but it won't budge. :cry:

Put two suitably sized screwdrivers in from the back, held in one hand
then use the other hand to twist off the outer. If that doesnt work, very gently heat the whole thing very slightly, then keep trying to undo it as it cools.

Thank you again, I've had enough for today. I will certainly have another go in the morning when it's light. Can't do anything now as I'd have to turn the electric off, and it's not an emergency, just an irritation. Have a table lamp in the kitchen at the mo.

While if you are lucky you may be able to canabalise the new battern holder to replace the broken bit on the new one you probably won't be able too as the bits probablly won't match up.

So be prepared to remove all the wiring and transfer it to the new holder. Make sure you record exactly what goes where before doing so and make sure you don't let the red sleeve that is marking the switch cable come off (or mark the switch cable in some other way)

Behind the conical shape you have already removed there appears to be a lock ring with four square indents spaced around it. If it is a lock ring you will need to remove it ( unscrew it ) before anything else comes loose.

Plugwash - if it comes to that I won't have the confidence, as I am scared of electricity and don't know what I am doing. So the table lamp will be staying for a while longer!

Bernard, I did remove that ring, you can see it in photo 2. But it's the back I can't get off. Going to Wickes now - they can unscrew it for me!

You guys have been great.

Hold it the way up it is in the photo. Put the white bit in your weaker hand and grip. Now grip the raised parts around the fixing holes with the fingers on your stronger hand. Turn the hand gripping the brown bit anti-clock-wise.

Or make yourself a pin spanner.

Don't worry - that's just a posh name for two nails or screws through a bit of wood, spaced to engage the screw holes / slots in the brown bit

Latest on this problem is - while on my way to Wickes I exercised my Greyhound and met another dog-walker, Larry, who has stronger hands than my puny ones. He twisted the thing and opened it, just like that, then offered to come and fit it for me and that's it, he is coming tomorrow! Nice man! And so are all of you! Thanks for all your help and tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back