Cannot remove toilet handle / lever

Sponsored Links
YES! I've improvised and it now works!! I'm so chuffed!

What I did was got one of those round rubber plugs that you put into a swimming pool air vent when you have inflated them, its about 15mm in diameter I had to cut it to size, then I put about 3 layers of duck tape around it, I think this works ok under water. Then cut out a new diaphragm and it flushes perfectly!!!!! Never had such a big flush lol.

Not sure how long it will last so will get another one in preparation.

Thanks for all the advice.

Forget the syphon, fit a flapper valve if you are going for complete replacement. Future maintenance will be much easier. Fluidmaster 507UKK073 (push-button) or 507UKK071 (flush handle).

Hmmm, thanks for that. I've had a quick look at these and the initial question that springs to mind is that in the installation pictures it shows the flap valve being attached to the overflow pipe which is next to it in the centre of the cistern - however my overflow pipe is in the corner of the cistern so how would that work?

Sponsored Links
No, the overflow pipe mentioned comes with the valve. It's an INTERNAL overflow, i.e. any excess water drains into the toilet bowl, rather than down a pipe to the outside world.

I guess you have a traditional EXTERNAL overflow at present, which then becomes redundant. ;)

Well done on the fix.

Ah I see, understood. Do you think it would it be better to try and remove it (and plug the hole), or leave it in there. Thanks.

Either/or, your choice. Only real benefit is you could get rid of the pipe leading away from the original overflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back