Cannot service boiler without safety rail around loft hatch.

4 years ago my ass I left 12 years ago and it had already been a BG requirement for several years then ....Safety rail rule is complete tosh

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, I just remember it coming up in a brief about that long ago, it was 1st I'd heard of it, started with them in 2007

PP, just what appliance is that? an iStore?

Agree with your sentiments, I too hate working on appliances fitting/servicing or repairing them.

All that faffing around Gas rating, shouting downstairs to "turn controls on/off " etc….

DH

Some safety measures are well intentioned, but not always necessarily well thought out - and in one case, downright dangerous.

The bungalow loft I was in with another plumber who we help each other out on bigger jobs had boiler and the required boarding and light. Except, being a reasonably low roof, and the standard bulb/bayonet fitting was mounted at higest point where trusses meet at top - numb-nuts mate only headbutts the bulb as he passed under it. :rolleyes:

Result - instant darkness, lots of swearing and an almost fried plumber who spent much of the rest of the day picking bits of glass out of his Barnet. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You should wear a safety harness if you think it dangerous and go about your work.

You should wear a safety harness if you think it dangerous and go about your work.

Don't worry, H&S are probably onto this one. I see that houses under construction have crash mats covering the entire ground floor whilst the external walls are built of scaffolds outside. Completely OTT and must slow work down if doing anything inside and having to move the mats around.

I love it when tv presenters wear hard hats when there's a bit of decorating being done. Makes them appear more intrepid :LOL:

Just finished a project where on the pilot I was being shadowed by a rather nice looking lady from an HSE consultants.

Obviously had no idea what I was doing as she might have been less concerned about where my toolbox was left during the job, and more that I was using a tiny little water hoover on a heating system holding 200 litres of water :LOL:.

Made even more amusing when said hoover shut itself off sooner than expected and I had to complete the particular task rather rapidly before anyone noticed the water :cool:

Even her boss decided that the whole task didn't really warrant the level of scrutiny they thought and let me get on with the rest of the work unhindered. There are still some people out there in H&S land with some common sense.

It took longer to set up for each job the way they wanted it than it did to carry out the job 90% of the time. Shame they don't worry about operative's blood pressure more ;).

simonbalaam";p="3033507 said:
We had a British Gas engineer over to service our boiler. He said that next time they come to service it there would need to me to install a safety rail around the loft hatch as the boiler is within 2m of the hatch otherwise they will not do it!!

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

Simon[/quot

Yes perfectly acceptable request

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back