Cannot use heating and hot water separately!?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am getting really frustrated with my CH and HW system. If you select either hot water OR central heating nothing happens. If you press both then it comes on. This might not be as much of a problem, but after an hour (when the water is fully heated) the whole system switches off. It then wont go back on until you use some of the hot water, or it cools down. Please can someone let me know what the problem is likely to be?

Many Thanks Lucy x

Sponsored Links
I can't move it at all, it seems to stay in the middle whatever is happening. I played around with the hw an ch on off buttons, the hw controls it all. The ch does nothing. Here is a picture of the sodding thing!
SDC10529.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
May just need the valve head, if you can get these seperate on this valve :confused:

Hi Dave, I'm possibly just being a complete fool, but, which valve is it that you think is faulty? Is it the mid-position valve? Thanks for your help!

the mid position valve. Its the white thing above the red pump. The lever on the side can be moved manually to give u hot water/heating. It looks possibly like a Myson one. If it is you can just swap the headwithout draining the heating system. :D

That's a drayton valve.

To test it out turn off the switch off on the left of the programmer. The indicator on the 3 port valve should go to W. If it doesn't feel around the right hand side of the valve for a black tab. Flick this out with your thumb and it should return to W.

Turn the power back on and then have a go at selecting HW only. The boiler should fire straight away.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I've tried doing what you said but the little lever in the mid position valve doesn't move, it just stays dead centre. Also selecting HW always fires the boiler, which starts the CH & HW. It's when you select CH it does nothing, sorry to be a pain.

Lucy x

Hi Ted, had another go and managed to get it switched to W but wont switch to H. When it is switched to W it does not seem any different to when it's switched to M?

What happens to the indicator on the valve when you select heating only on the programmer?

The next steps in identifying which part of your system isn't working correctly will need you to use an electrical tester to see which wires you have power on.

If you are not confident in doing that you are gonna have to get a plumber/RGI in. Anyone you get in who knows their stuff should be able to identify the problem in about a minute.

Ted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back