Radiators heating when only hot water selected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow worm micron 60FF boiler supplying central heating and hot water cylinder, on a fully pumped system. There is a BGMVSP-23 3 position motorised valve and british gas programmer. A problem seems to occur sometimes: If hot water only is selected, the radiators nearest the pump heat, to some extent. This has happened when hot water only has been running, and the heating has been switched on for around an hour, then off. The next time we have HW only, the radiators heat up again. I've looked at the 3 position valve position when this is happening and it is in the correct HW only top position, but still some flow must be reaching the radiators. If I remove the actuator and then replace it, and switch between HW and HW with Heating a few times, it seem to go right, until the next time the heating is used, then the same thing happens. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the paddle is sticking on the valve body, or some shiz has built up on the valve seat. tis a simple enough repair, about £30 for the body or less if you use a service kit.

More likely the valve spindle is getting stiff and not returning fully to hw position, as it only returns to hw position by a spring in the actuator.

Sponsored Links
Yes. FYI the bgmvsp valve is an ACL mid position valve rebranded by British gas, so you ask for the ACL valve at the merchants. There are others available but you'll need to replace the head as well if you do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back