Can't AVG scan in safe mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to sort out my dad's computer problem over the phone (not easy!) - seems like he's been hit with a virus and now can only launch his computer in safe mode. The problem is that he doesn't seem to be able to start a scan with his free AVG 8.5 in safe mode whereas I have the identical free AVG 8.5 and mine does scan in safe mode. He gets to the same Command Line Composer but on selecting Start Scan he is stuck with the cursor and nothing starts.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Steve,
When he is in Safe mode, can he still open a browser and get on-line?
If so go to Dr.WebCureIt:
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en
and read the instructions then download and run it.
No need for updates as the download has the latest definitions.
Let it remove everything it finds

Post back
dave.

Just tried to open my browser in safe mode but without success. Perhaps this is not possible?

Sponsored Links
Are you connected via a wireless router, because the wireless adaptor will need starting as it will not run automatically in safe mode.

How far is your dad away? Because you could download Dr.WebCureIt and save to your desktop, then send the downlaoded exe file to a USB Stick and load that onto your dad's computer.

dave

No he's not wireless but the idea of downloading might be the way to go. Thanks for that Dave. I'll give it a go and hope it will be accessible to run in safe mode.

Cheers

Steve

you need to select safe mode with networking, the normal safemode disables the network card (wireless or wired) this will then let you onto the net.

Just to report - didn't have a lot of luck trying to sort out the problem. Was able to scan using a downloaded Dr Webcurit and found over 50 nasties but after curing and moving still couldn't boot up in normal mode.

Also couldn't connect to the internet in safe mode with networking for some reason?

His Dell has a Dell Restore (system restore does not work) function (which I think wipes the working part of the hard drive allowing a reinstallation from another part) but after copying vital photos etc we still couldn't select the restore option only the reboot? Seemed like we couldn't even try this last resort

His desktop background picture remains intact and some of his icons are partially visible after waiting a long long time but I think he may have to pay some dosh to get this fixed as I've now nowhere to go. Thanks for all your help and I've learnt something for future use.

I don't think your problem is virus related at all.

If you can boot up, get into Windows Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and run Chkdsk /R. I'd guess it would report quite a lot of errors in your case. If you're lucky it might fix enough to get you back into normal mode.

Dell System Restore will wipe everything and return the PC to the state it came out of the box in. It accesses a restore partition on the hard drive. If you cant get to that, then unless someone's deliberately deleted it, it's probably symptomatic of a hard drive failure.

If you do need to rebuild you'd need to acquire a full copy of the OS you're running and use the licence number from the sticker that should be on the computer case somewhere.

My Dell came with :-
Media containing drivers.
Media for Windows XP Pro sp.2 OS - (not for installation of drivers !)
On HDD.
Hidden Partition containing Utilities.
Hidden Partition containing an image of the c: partition as shipped to me...that is OS with all drivers loaded as the thing hit my desk.

Pretty much as good as it gets, but wholly as it should be IMHO.

I doubt you are interested, but to anyone linking here... http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/index.htm Interesting...

Sponsored Links
Back