System Tool Malware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Friend of mine is in a state of panic. He got one of those screens that said something like; "We have scanned your PC and there are 20876 virus, worms and trojans on your system. Download System Tool to remove them".
He, in ignorance, clicked on the button and downloaded the pest and it has lodged an icon on his desktop and is flashing up while he is surfing.
He ran his AV (WebRoot) and it produced nothing. He was so worried that he rushed to the bank and changed his account details in case it had the ability to take what little he has in the bank.
He has just phoned me and asked what should he do. I told him I would look for a removal tool, but those I've found all seem to be of the "Scan first" and we'll charge for removal, pretty much similar to the problem program.
So can anyone give me a link to a free removal tool. I don't know if SAS will do it, but I've told him to download it, for future use.
Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
download Malwarebytes and run it in safe mode..usually does the trick...however you may need to do other things as the infection you have may stop you running the software..have a look at the PC advisor site whose forum members will give you a list of exactly what you have to do.

Please download MalwareBytes' AntiMalware

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select > Perform Quick Scan, then click > Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click > OK, then > Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click > Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Save this log to My Documents in case it is needed for reference.
Reboot as required.

If MBAM will not install or run.

If Malwarebytes Anti-malware or any of your security programs won’t install, run or update, then you’ve probably got malware or the effects of malware on the computer (some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-malware and other security tools).

Follow instructions:

http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/06/08/malwarebytes-wont-install-run-or-update-how-to-fix-it/

If MBAM clears the malware then you need to purge the system restore points and set a fresh one, to prevent the person accidentally restoring to a contaminated restore point in the future.

Purging System Restore

To remove all SR Points thus removing any contaminated ones:
Turn OFF System Restore then turn it back ON and then set a new restore point.

In XP:
Follow these instructions (method 2)
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions.

In Vista:
Follow these instructions.
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions

In Windows 7
Follow these instructions
Then set a new restore point by following these instructions

Sponsored Links
In all cases were a virus has affected a PC I offer only 1 piece of advice

"Re-install windows"

You can do this 2 ways, either using a recovery disk or recovery image, if you have neither then the other option you will need an original windows OS disk

This may be a hassle but the only correct way a system should be set up is to allow the user at any point regardless of the reason to re-image the PC/laptop

Simple fact once your system has been compromised you will never get back the full potential of your PC's capability and this doesn't just happen when you get a virus, over time your PC does get slower and slower until you reach a point were your profile is that big it takes 5 minutes to log on and your system tray is filled with about 50 icons, its at this point you pop in your restore disk or restore a back-up image and be back to day 1 which was when the image or restore disk was created

Any IT guy will be able to do this for you but pliz......dont get ripped off......if you want to know what someone should be charging you for this PM me

Hope this makes sense

L

If one invites a burglar into one's home don't expect the alarm to help !
The 'friend's' A/V must have seen the malware installation as being desired, after all who installed it?

Anyway having fallen into the trap :-

This was suggested hereabouts by 'Blasphemous' - recently.
http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro
A novel idea, '...utilizes FIVE popular security scanning engines as the in-the-cloud detection, where users can immediately scan their PC directly from the desktop. The five scanning engines are publicly revealed as G DATA, Avira, ESET NOD32, Prevx CSI & A-Squared Antimalware...

Out of interest I installed then ran the program, albeit on a (hopefully) clean machine - a painless exercise, nothing found other than a few 'possibles' but I know about them so refrained from the offered removal, this an ever present danger - jumping into removal without a little homework.

-0-

System tool is NOT a virus, it is Malware and as such will not be found nor removed with the antivirus software on the computer.

MBAM will remove it and also Windows Defender.

You could also try thr Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool which comes every Update Tuesday (2nd Tuesday/Wednesday every month) with the usual Microsoft Updates.
If you haven't got the latest you can download it from Here.
Click to download from the author's site OR click to download the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit computer.

dave

Do better to bin it and get a Mac. No malware there

Powerflop,,,, You just keep believing that mate. Your last topic on Mac's was deleted by Admin. (just in case you wondered where it had gone) I highly suspect that this topic will now be locked before long.

Mod 11 quote:
a spam post has been removed

Can you also remove all the MAC crap that powerfulp posts in Windows Request For Help Threads.

He is of no help whatsoever and apart from being a TROLL you could consider his recommendations to get a MAC at a much inflated price compared with a Windows PC, to be spamming without links.

dave

They're not just Windows help requests they are from computer users who probably are not aware of what is available to them in order to be able to have computer use without all the malware they are lumbered with from the use of Microsoft software.

I simply direct them to a system which, although more expensive, is worthwhile them considering in order to use a computer without all the nuisances they complain of or are lumbered with.

As I found by switching to Mac and Linux years ago, I have systems which are without any Malware. You may not wish to do that but its a bit unfair to all the readers who frequent here to have the suggestion lodged requesting the removal of posts which are good advice to everybody else.

:D

Mod 11 quote:
a spam post has been removed

Can you also remove all the MAC crap that powerfulp posts in Windows Request For Help Threads.

He is of no help whatsoever and apart from being a TROLL you could consider his recommendations to get a MAC at a much inflated price compared with a Windows PC, to be spamming without links.

dave

No; I asked for that to be removed as there were comments made which were childish and unhelpful to other readers of the forum

Powerflop, you DO NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, point forum members to a system that's entirely free from malware. Mac's at best are vastly overpriced, at worst, can suffer similar problems. Try upgrading a Mac with non Apple hardware. Can you buy an off the shelf graphics card for one?? Hmm thought not.
Linux is an OS which is open to abuse as much as Windows.
The only reason there's little heard about problems with Mac's and Linux systems is the far fewer users of these. Hackers/ Virus developers etc concentrate their efforts on the most popular operating systems.
Your continued posts are therefore irrelevant and full of misinformation.
Kindly desist until you either do some research, or listen to what others say.

Linux is an OS which is open to abuse as much as Windows.

I wouldn't go quite that far, JJ. Linux (and the BSDs, such as FreeBSD, upon which OS X is based) is far less vulnerable to typical attacks than Windows due to a higher quality of code and more security oriented design. Just as vulnerable to user error and bugs, of course.

Sponsored Links
Back