Bank Fraud!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My erderly neighbour got a phone call from his bank yesterday to say that his cards had been cloned and his account has been frozen, they then asked him to verify his acount number and details, he smelt a rat and refused. They then told him to check his card for the phone number on the back of the card and to phone it and verify that this is genuine. This he did and was told they would have a courier come come and collect the cards in 20mins to hand to the police, again he smelt a rat. So he phoned his branch and spoke to the manager who confirmed that this was not true and this is a fraud.......
How did they hack into the phone system to divert the call to them rather than it going through to bank call centre!? :confused: :eek:
It all sounds rather elaborate and like something out of Enemy of the state!! :confused:
Be careful peeps..........

Sponsored Links
I smell a rat as well, had your neighbour been drinking.

Isn't this the fraud the Police were describing on the news a couple of weeks ago?

perhaps they keep the line open and play a dialing tone sound recording
then off course they are still there when the dialing stops

Sponsored Links
As Big-All has said, as I saw this last week on TV where they asked the house holder to call his bank. The house holder called the bank but the fraudsters just stayed on the phone.

The way to get around this is them that you will call back on your mobile.

Andy

wow, that is pretty scary! You have to be very careful with things like this!

Yes you hang up, they stay on the line (silently) you thinks you're ringing the bank they then answer.................you haven't rung anyone its the same call and they've heard the dialing tone ...........

Must admit I had never heard of this one, glad it happened to him and not me!
Got to just go and claim my entitlement to 23 million Ugandan dollars now!! :LOL: :LOL:

Must admit I had never heard of this one, glad it happened to him and not me!
Got to just go and claim my entitlement to 23 million Ugandan dollars now!! :LOL: :LOL:

Too late Handy.
I submitted my details this morning. Cheque is going in my bank next week after they have verified my account number and pin number are correct.

Sponsored Links
Back