Is SuperAntiSpyware Safe?H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody
I'm back with another problem.
When I had problems recently with my computer slowing down, two good friends,Daozen and Dave sorted me out, getting rid of a lot of rubbish and recommending different programmes to run.
Two of those were MBaM and SAS which I was advised to run one midweek and the other at weekends.
I only had the free downloads, didn't pay for anything, and everything was fine.
Last Sunday running SAS it took 24 hours to run, throwing up over 30,000 trackers and spyware. Started quarantining these which was taking another 8-10 hours at the end of which I got a box come up saying " Your windows operating system has been corrupted, insert original disc or contact system administrator-
Files for Windows-
c\window\service pack files\i386/gdiplus.man
I don't quite remember what happened after that, but I shut it down and when I tried to reopen it, there was a blank screen.
I called in a computer guy charging £35 per hour because I did not have the original operating disc and he spent nearly 2 hours trying to recover it, but it had all gone.
I told him that I did not want to spend any more time and money on it as it was old and I could put the money towards a new laptop, which I have done.
I am now rebuilding all my lost info, fortunately I have a backed up disc from back at the end of September so I am hoping to recover something, but the question is . What happened with SAS.
If Daozen or Dave are still around or anybody else able to comment , I would be grateful.
Kind R egards to all forum readers
chappell

Sponsored Links
I have no idea what was happening because SAS should only take about 10 to 15 minutes to run a Quick Scan.
What scan had you set it to run, a Quick or a Full Scan?
As you had run it before, I would have thought that you would suspect something was wrong when it was still running after 20 minutes.

The 'trackers' that it found were probably just cookies but I don't suppose you know what the Scanner Options were before you clicked Scan.

Regarding anything on the disc since September, you could remove the hard drive from the old computer and fit it in a HD Caddy and plug into your new laptop to retrieve any data that was not included in your last backup.

All I can think of regarding SAS acting up is that something had got onto your computer and corrupted it.

I keep both SAS and MBAM upto date and run each once a week but never have a problem with them.

dave

Hi Dave
How nice to hear from you again.
I always ran a full scan which normally took 3-4 hours and looking back yes, I should have suspected something.
Well I trust your judgment and will load them onto my new laptop.
Is a quick scan sufficient though and can you recommend a good firewall as i did not want Mc afee or Norton and any other proramme that you think will protect as I can't remember all those that you and Daozen recommended at the time. I've got PC Tools firewall at the moment.
Thanks a lot
chappell

I use Comodo Firewall, it comes as Comodo Internet Security but you don't have to have the antivirus if you want to use something else:
Comodo Firewall
It comes with Defense+ which can be a bit of a nag when downloading software as it keeps asking permission to allow things. But it does eventually learn.
You can turn off the Defense+ and use WinPatrol instead.

I have also started using Microsoft Security Essentials and have not had any problems with it or with it letting anything through.

As for the scans with SAS and MBAM, they stipulate that a Quick Scan is sufficient even when scanning an infected computer, so I never run a Full Scan.

When installing any Free Software always select 'Custom Install' if the option is there because a lot of them come with a toolbar bundled in with the installer and the option to install it is often ticked and needs UNTICKING before you proceed or you end up with a Yahoo Toolbar or even the Google Chrome browser.

dave

Sponsored Links
Stick this on yer machine !!
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ See it on the right upper corner of window - 'Download Latest Version'

Every time - Except if installing or uninstalling a program and obeying a request to 'reboot' or 're-start' the machine - Before shutting down your machine run the program - 'CCleaner'. May not be the very best but I know it works currently on a variety of machines from laptop - tabletop to netbook... The default settings will be ok.

If you use 'Internet Explorer8 (IE8)' browser, Click on <Tools> <Internet Options>
Click on <Delete> and tick boxes as shown below.
View media item 17526
Now this may not be the super flash method of browsing - But the crud - being all the stuff some may legitimately like to keep whilst others not knowing what or why - Will be well shut of.

Try it !!

Don't go too deep too quickly you'll end up in the cart again !! Keep it very simple - but effective.

:D

I have also used these on customers machine to great effect!

ComboFix
SDFix
Super Anti Spyware
Malwarebytes
Ad-Aware
Spybot

Always backup before scanning though - just incase the above happens. We just Ghost and then extract the data if everything goes toes up

Look - The guy doesn't know the difference between a cookie a potential virus the real thing and, and Tiger Woods on the 19th!!
Umpteen protection programs with no idea or desire as to how to use 'em is courting disaster... Witness new computer ! And the possibility of immediately going down the same path to oblivion.
Has a need to walk - before learning to run !
:(

Messge for dave m. if your watching.
I have now installed:-
Comodo
SAS MBaM
PC Pitstop
Spyware doctor
Was going to put on microsoft security essentials but got amessage saying it could conflict with other anti spyware etc. and could cause severe performance issues.
regards
chappell

Message to empip
sorry we can't all be computer wizards, thats why people like me are very grateful to people like dave m. and others on this forum who try to help us novices with our problems.

too much memory usage from programs that will fight for use.
For the past 3 years I have been using windows defender along with avg free and spybot . I put the same combo on a machine that had nod32 on it and they found stuff that nod missed.
Spybot catches all the wierd and wonderfull stuf, avg gets 99% of viruses and defender picks up the slack.

Ever used Hi-JackThis ?
Nightmare to begin with but good for a random sweep.

Jim

I explained how to do the basics, your first task... Doesn't seem like much but It is actually 90% of your requirement... But I guess if it doesn't glister it cannot be gold...
--

Chap,
Have you installed the full Comodo Internet security or just the Firewall or just the AntiVirus?

I ask because if you only put the firewall on, you don't have an antivirus program, so I assume that you have the full kit.

If you have only used the Comodo Firewall, then get rid of Spyware Doctor and use the Microsoft SE as your AV and antispyware program.
If you have the full Comodo then you are covered for antivirus but Spy Dr is not a real-time protection program, it is only for getting rid of stuff that is already there infecting, and SAS and MBAM are best at that job.
So get rid of Spy Dr. and use Windows Defender

PC Pitstop is not a security software program and looking at it, I don't think you really need it.

Once you have got rid of Pitstop:

Download and install Ccleaner
When installing, watch out for the tick box that will install the Yahoo Toolbar if left ticked
Once installed, click Check For Updates (bottom right of the screen)

CCLEANER Setup Instructions

Remember to open MBAM and SAS about every couple of days and check for updates, then run each one about once a week but a few days apart, just to check that nothing has got past your other software.

dave

Post back if you have any problems.

To dave m. and all the people on this forum who have offered me help and advice, i'd like to thank you all and wish you a happy xmas and virus free new year.
Pleased to say my laptop is now running smoothlly from all your advice and also to my grandson who helped me follow your instructions.
Sorry I have been so long in replying, but no doubt I will be back in 2010 with some further problem
Kindest Regards
chappell

Thanks for replying.
Glad to hear that the advice worked and you MUST get that grandson a BIG present for Christrmas for helping granddad out. ;)

Merry Christmas and if you need help in the future:

Phone the grandson, then post on here. :LOL:

dave

Sponsored Links
Back