Can't Certify Brickwork Removal Jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has this just been announced?? I've just found out from Fensa. More money to pull out having to go through LABC

Removal of brickwork
From 1st January 2014 it is not possible to self-certify jobs that involve removal of bricks and/or where installers are not replacing like with like (conversion of windows to patio doors, windows to doors, doors to windows etc) through any glazing CPS including FENSA.
Such jobs will need to be inspected by Local Authority Building Control to satisfy Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
I think that technically that's always been the case but building control weren't that bothered. Perhaps there have been too many problems where wood frames have been replaced with upvc and no lintel installed etc. Either that or they realised they can make more money.

Price increase on the Fensa registration as well!! Just been announced for Jan 14, thanks for the notice :eek:

Sponsored Links
As far as lintels are concerned it wouldn't matter if you fit a door or a window.

I expect its more to do with door thresholds and the way the reveals are made good (cavity closers etc), I have seen some terrible examples of both.

Its going to be a pain in the butt tho. It will add half a day to the job waiting for the inspector to turn up plus their fee, Its going to add 30-40% to the cost of these jobs :(

I think that technically that's always been the case but building control weren't that bothered. Perhaps there have been too many problems where wood frames have been replaced with upvc and no lintel installed etc. Either that or they realised they can make more money.

When changing a window to a door as long as you didn't alter the original lintel you didn't need to notify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back