Cant change cyclinder on one of my UPVC french Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of upgrading the cylinders in my conservatory and kitchen to MUL-T-Locks as there have been a range burglaries in the area, and touch wood I have been okay so far but would rather be safe.

I can swap a Euro cylinder easily and have found the measurements however the problems lies in one door each of the double type opening outward UPVC doors I have.

The door are identical and both have handles and locks but one of them has an extra piece on it so that when the doors are shut one can lock into the other (I don't know what this piece is called, I've been googling all night with no joy).

I cant see how this piece that is fitted to one door and sits between the two when closed is attached and without removing it I cant get to the screw that holds the cylinder in place to replace it

Any clue please ?

On a separate note my locks are 45/50 and I was thinking of getting them here, any advice/information or cheaper recommendations
http://www.randrsecurity.com/p/p-multlock_euro_double_cylinder-1648.aspx

Sponsored Links
The section that you mention is screwed to the door. Simply unscrew, and this will enable you to access the euro cylinder retaining screw.

Any particular reason you're going for mul-t-locks? Expensive replacements, when the majority of low-lifes will just jemmy the door open and ignore the locks.

Have you an alarm fitted to the house? If not, I'd be looking to spend my money on one instead.

I agree thieves have easier ways of gaining access, got my neighbour back into her home after she locked herself out, only needed a stanley knife and philips screwdriver to get in.

Well, lost my keys and figure there is nothing easier then just using the keys. I do have an alarm though need to configure zones and arm when we are at home. Anyhoo

Pictures of the screws in this post, sorry for the inability to rotate, but do I remove ALL screws or just the ones on the left. The ones in on extreme right seem different, could it be just need to remove those?

Would prefer a small job not escaping me and becoming something else.

Sponsored Links
An old thread but.......

What are you trying to do?
The picture is of the frame keeps. If you're trying to change the lock then you want to be looking at the door, not the frame.

My door looks exactly like the one above and the situation is the same. The picture I posted is of the side where all the screws you mention to remove are. Do I need to take these off the "frame keep" in order to get to the magic screw for the cylinder lock? Or only specific screws. There are quite a few screws hence the question.

You may need to remove the keep to reveal some more screws, there will be about 5 or 6 screwed through the plastic clashing bar, take the bar of to reveal the screw for the euro

As above you need to remove the screws that fix the jamb to the door, They maybe hidden behind the locking gear. When you find some that are approx 50-80mm long you will know you have the right ones.
It may also be fairly securely clipped to the door so you may have to use a flat screw driver to prise it away (slip it in from above).

Alternatively an easier way would be to work out where the screw would be. Use a tape measure and set square and work it out from the master door.
Then just drill a 8-10mm hole through the jam to allow access to the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back