Can't decide on a floor varnish/stain/HWO (wan't gloss look)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahhhh! Been mulling over the right varnish for ages but can't decide :LOL:
In a nutshell, I've quite a large area (4 rooms, 60sqm) I want to varnish on a tight budget. The flooring is pine, though we would like to colour it to get as close to an 'oak look' as possible.

I had been leaning towards Blanchon's HWO but after getting a sample I think I prefer the gloss look, the HWO was just a light sheen. I was then leaning towards Bona Mega but it would seem that doesn't stain and at 3 coats needing possibly a primer, stain and mega application, that would get pretty pricey.

So, could anyone recommend a best bang for buck solution?

Sponsored Links
Hi
Firstly staining pine is not very easy. The only type of product that would get close to your colour on pine is a spirit based. Look for Colron or Rustins

You can stain and then use Mega, forget the prime and just use three coats of Mega. That said Mega will slightly enhance the yellowness of pine so I would personally steer clear of Mega on Pine.

My choice for Pine would be to scratch the staining idea and use Bona Traffic, use Prime and then 2 coats of Traffic, but in does not come in a Gloss finish. Two coats of Traffic costs about the same as 3 coats of Mega but you would save on the cost and time of staining

Another option would be Dulux Diamond Glaze, if you go to a Dulux Decorating Centre they can tint the lacquer (not my cup of tea), apply a first tinted coat and then 2 clear on top or else you will end up with the colour changing as you wear through the layers.

Apply the lacquer with a medium pile roller generously on the floor 10m2 per litre and let it do its thing. visit their web site bona.com for more info on how to apply
Regards
TT

Thanks for the info Tone - looks like that's mega and traffic out of the mix then :LOL:

Will check out Diamond Glaze - just wondering why you mention the bona site when talking about the dulux stuff though?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back