STAINING AND VARNISHING A WOODEN FLOOR....HELP ME!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D I purchased a property 2 years ago which had concrete floors throughout. I’m a lover of real wood floors so I decided to put down kiln dried soft wood, which is cheaper than hardwood but alot stronger than normal softwood. The whole process had taken me about 2 weeks to put down but the results were brilliant. :D

My next step was to decide on Colour and whether to use a stain or a wax. The colour I selected was an almost black stain (Jacobean mixed with another stain to create almost black) after speaking to various people I decided to go with a stain because it would enhance the grain far better than a wax would. Once the stain was applied it looked absolutely fantastic and made the house look brilliant throughout. However my next hurdle was what product do I use to seal and protect the flooring from heavy traffic. This was the area where people’s opinions were very much divided. The product I opted for was a 'Ronseal diamond hard gloss finish' which would enhance the grain even further. I followed the directions on the tin and applied the varnish three times. Once it had dried I went over the floor with some low grade wire wool and the floor looked like glass....perfect. I purchased a proper floor polisher etc to keep the appearance looking great.

:( 2 years on and the floor has some very serious traffic patches which look awful and I’m now in the process of thinking about sorting it out. Before I go any further I would like some advice on what to do next. :(

Do I sand the floor down back pine all thou i'm going to use another almost black stain? :confused:

Do I use a stain again or is there something else available to enhance the grain look? :confused:

What is the best product available for Varnishing. I need the floor varnish to last alot longer this time? :(

Let me recap
• Do I sand back to pine?
• Stain or wax?
• What make of varnish?

I know the story is long but its better to get the whole picture. I hope you guys and girls out there can help

AndyP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back