Floorboards - Stain/Dye or Varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am due to start sanding floorbards in my new house and need advice on the best method of staining these.

I did a similar project in my last property c 7 yrs ago and at the time following advice given I firstly applied 2-3 applications of floor dye and finished by applying hard wearing clear varnish. I was extemely pleased with result and these stood the test of time.

I am now unable to find the dye I used (think was ronseal floor dye) as all the products are either coloured varnish or floor wax. I fear that by simply applying a coloured varnish some of the "character" of the wood will be masked?? I therefore am tempted to find a dye/stain and fishing again with a clear varnish.

Does anyone have any advice on the best method. I am looking for a darkish oak finish but with the grain and knots etc.. visible through to retain character.

Sponsored Links
i have only done a floor once (the effort is too much) but the result is spot on. laminate is a very poor 2nd but much quicker.

i don't think the make of stain is too important - just try out on some sanded wood first (the trouble is you can't replicate the wood of the floorboard) then do a small test on the floorboard in an area not too prominent (which you could re-sand if necessary). the important thing is to apply with a brush but have a "pad" in the other hand. make the pad from smooth cloth (ie old shirt) and cotton wool. the pad acts to make a smooth coating of the stain. I used Classic Teak Wood Stain (looked great - i think oak would be too dark).

then go for the best clear varnish you pocket can stand. I used PV67 HD Varnish (bought from crown decorating centre). it's spot on.

for info i tried filling small gaps with sawdust mixed with stain and PVA sealer but found it shrinks and ended up using proprietary frame sealer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back