Sanding Old & New Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sanding old floor boards in a room and have had to replace about a third of the room with new floor boards. What would be the best way to get a finish when varnishing so they are as similar as possible? Is it best to use wood dye, wood stain, coloured varnish? Should I apply the colour to all the floorboards or just the new ones?

Sponsored Links
How well/deep are you sanding? Depending on what finish was used on the old ones, a proper sanding might give you 'bare' boards back?
If not, then there will be a difference in colour (in the beginning) between the old and new boards (sun, light etc).

Best way forward I can suggest is to make some samples with a sanded old board and a new board with different colour to see what matches best.
If you need colour see here for good products.

Yes, very good. Even in areas were there is more moist (kithcens, bathrooms). Environmental friendly, non-toxic, you can even use them on childrens furniture and toys.
Also, you can mix colours.

Sponsored Links
bluebeks said:
I am sanding old floor boards in a room and have had to replace about a third of the room with new floor boards. What would be the best way to get a finish when varnishing so they are as similar as possible? Is it best to use wood dye, wood stain, coloured varnish? Should I apply the colour to all the floorboards or just the new ones?

Sand it all to bare wood,then stain it and finally seal it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back