how to recreate scuffed appearance on floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to sand down my pine floorboards as most of the varnish has worn away. The trouble is, I far prefer the floorboards where there isn't any varnish left and the boards have over time gone a dirty browny-grey colour and when the boards are sanded they'll come up like new.

Could anyone tell me how to re-create the colour I've grown to like so much? I've been told I will need to varnish the floor to protect the wood (it's a small flat so pretty high density living!), so I'm guessing I should sand the boards, use lye to take out the yellowness, then coloured wood oil followed by a matt varnish. I've been looking at WOCA/Trip Trap stuff on the internet, it looks complicated.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
i assume you mean dye to take out the yellow
well no if you add something it will be yellow masked with another colour and darker
the yellow will be from an oil based finish/coating
so will need to be removed or as i say "masked" and darker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back