Wood stain/varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got some clear Matt vanish and was going to sand my floorboards and varnish.
They were so dirty I decided to use wood stain. I did 3 coats and it looks great.

I’m wondering do I need to use a varnish coat on top? My mum (apologies this makes me sound about 10 years old but she’s not too bad at decorating) says that woodstain has varnish in and it may be unnecessary to do a top coat of varnish. I thought woodstain is just the colour but she says no, wood dye is the colour and wood stain is all in one - varnish and colour.

it looks fine right now. I can’t be bothered with another 2 hours varnishing it, so is a top coat of varnish really necessary
?

thanks

Sponsored Links
First of all i'd read what it says on the tin...then i'd probably use a clear varnish in order to protect the wood.
Make sure you've got plenty of time, use even brush strokes - and work your way towards the door.
(Syd Barrett made the mistake of working towards his fireplace and ended up with sticky feet)
If you can do the job on a warm day, leave the window open overnight to help it dry thoroughly; preferably over a 24 hour period.

First of all i'd read what it says on the tin...then i'd probably use a clear varnish in order to protect the wood.
Make sure you've got plenty of time, use even brush strokes - and work your way towards the door.
(Syd Barrett made the mistake of working towards his fireplace and ended up with sticky feet)
If you can do the job on a warm day, leave the window open overnight to help it dry thoroughly; preferably over a 24 hour period.

tin doesn’t mention varnishing. But if you think it’s worth it I can do it

One other thing, I have to move furniture. Can I varnish one half, dry and then move the bed? Will it create a line or be ok

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't move a heavy bed across a newly varnished floor if i could help it.
Can you stand the frame up against a wall while you varnish?

I wouldn't move a heavy bed across a newly varnished floor if i could help it.
Can you stand the frame up against a wall while you varnish?
The frame is a solid slab of wood about 3 ft by 2.

the legs are about 3 inch squared each.

just really can’t be bothered taking the thing to bits. It’s a very light and cheap timber bed.

I suppose I could varnish one half, wait a long time for it to cure and then move the bed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back