Can't figure out what these 2 pipes are for (pic inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CH has been getting worse over the last few years so there's a few things wrong with it that we put up with (couple of radiators not heating, sheared off bleed valves, 3 port valve has to be manually activated). But now only a couple of upstairs radiators get luke warm now we are putting on after summer and the hot water tank doesn't heat up properly. House is cold today!

I might end up getting a tradesman in but I am pretty handy and competent at DIY and the last plumber I got in was one who did half the job and then kept making excuses and never came back so I had to finish the job myself (he didn't even put hot and cold taps on correct side). Mainly I want to understand my whole system so even if I don't fix it myself I can understand it when I get a guy in.

So the red arrow on the right is hot water from the boiler, it goes into the pump and then the valve which switches between hot water and rads. So far so good, but what are the other two pipes with red arrows and question marks? They go up into the loft and it's a pain to pull up boards etc to trace those particular pipes. They both get hot, no surprise as they are connected to the hot feed. Any idea what they are for?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bottom one is the cold feed from the expansion cistern in the loft, top one is the expansion pipe.

Sponsored Links
Bottom one is the cold feed from the expansion cistern in the loft, top one is the expansion pipe.

WRONG !!

The bottom one is feed & expansion....The top one is the VENT !!

Why do you think it is called a F&E cistern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back