Can't find BMW service interval socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I have a secondhand BMW316ti (3door compact) and thought I would give it an oil change in advance of the indicated limit (Honest John says every 3000 miles).

I bought a special service key to reset the mileage interval indicator, and followed the Haynes Manual instructions - changed the oil, and guess what - can't find the location of the diagnostic socket to plug in the service key! (I realise that the Haynes Manual does not fully cover this model)

ANY IDEAS??

Thanks,
Pinky

Sponsored Links
Its under the bonnet somewhere on the left or right inner wing.

what year is it. if its after 99 it could have an obd2 diag socket under the steering column. there was a few months changeover where they were fitted with the usual bmw round diag socket under the bonnet and the obd2 16 pin connector. if it has the obd2 connector the service reset tool is unlikely to work.

davieboy said:
what year is it. if its after 99 it could have an obd2 diag socket under the steering column. there was a few months changeover where they were fitted with the usual bmw round diag socket under the bonnet and the obd2 16 pin connector. if it has the obd2 connector the service reset tool is unlikely to work.

Thanks davieboy - you have the answer.
It has the ODB 16-pin socket under the steering wheel and the round service key doesn't fit.
Any offers for new unused BMW service key??
Pinky

Sponsored Links
do you need to know how to reset the service light?
if so i'll type in the instructions (can't get them to copy/paste). its quite long winded so i would rather only key them in if you need to know, i think it might tell you in the car's handbook.

dave

Hi Dave. I have changed the oil (and filter) and I now need to reset the counter dashboard indicator to reflect this. If you know how to do this it would solve the problem of not having the right service interval key.
Pinky.

right, here goes. button A as referred is the button to the left of the speedo and next to the fuel gauge.

distance and time based inspection.

switch ignition off
press and hold button A
turn key to position 1
after 5 secs the words 'oil service' or 'inspection' are shown together with the message 'reset' or 're.'
release button A. press and hold button A. after a further 5 secs the message 'reset' starts to flash.
relaese button A. press and relese button A again.
new service interval should be displayed.
press and hold button A for 5 secs. the time based service is displayed together with the message 'reset' or 're.'
release button A. press and hold button A. after 5 secs the message 'reset' starts to flash.
release button A. press and release button A again.
the new service interval is now displayed.
press and release button A. the message 'end sia' is now displayed.
switch ignition off.

hope this is clear.
going to rest fingers now. cut/paste still wont work, even though they are from my own notes in MS word!

dave

Thanks Dave,
Before I dive in, its not clear how to select which service interval I am resetting (line 5 in your list).
Thanks for taking the trouble to do all this!
P:inky

first part resets the distance based counter, second part resets the time based counter. i would just reset them both. you will probably know when it needs servicing anyway ,usually once a year, i always thought the service reminder lights to be a bit of a pain.

cool.

now print out the instructions and keep them safe.
don't want to type all that again next year :LOL:

glad to help
dave

Sponsored Links
Back