1998 Peugeot 106 1.5D - Stubborn Fuel Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to do my own basic servicing and using the garage for anything to do with brakes (don't trust my life to my own handywork!) and MOTs.

After safely getting through oil changes and oil / air filter changes in the past, this time I was going to replace the fuel filter.

I took the battery out for access (jeez, it's a struggle to get to) and drained the filter, but couldn't budge the old filter one nanometre. I was using an oil filter removal chain (the kind with a serrated edge and a length of chain you hook on and then usually destroy the oil filter in the process of getting it off).

I could see I was getting nowhere and so stopped before I got close to puncturing the filter. It's been a while since it was changed and last time must have been in a garage so with heat and wear and possible over-tightening it seems to be totally stuck.

Can anyone tell me how to get this thing off? The Haynes manual recomends a Purflux F76 wrench, but I can't find anything similar on the Internet. If it was an oil filter I'd stick a screwdriver through it, but I'm loathe to do so with a fuel filter in case I'm left with an engine with a screwdriver sticking out of it.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
a filter removal with a belt could help, however if the chain wont remove it , it must be tight on

I have only once had to remove a filter with screw driver and when yo stick it in aim off centre and put right through

might help to disconnect pipes and unbolt the filter holder from the car and put it in vice..... might do less damage

Sponsored Links
Back