Servicing van

M

marsaday

I have got my haynes manual and can see what needs doing on my van. Basically it needs the oil and filter changing quite regularly - more so than what peugeot recommend. If i get a garage to do this it will cost a fair bit, so i plan on doing a lot myself.

My question is really what does a garage do on a std service ? Change the oil and filter, fuel filter and air filter ? Anything else which i cant do ?

It just seems to me with a little effort i can save a lot of money and carrying out a job which isnt too difficult. I am not of course referring to more technical stuff, just the basic yearly maintenance of a vehicle.

Sponsored Links
The yearly service will be quite a workload at the start.

So maybe do the easier stuff first?

Air filter and visual check all the important stuff, like wipers, lights, tyre pressure, thread depth spare etc.

Then on another day move on to maybe engine oil and filter?
Prepare well, having all the things you need especially the correct replacement filter and correct oil. Buy locally at smaller outlets, they will help you get started, with the correct parts/tools. Even if you need something its not far to travel.

Don't go doing major work before a long journey and give yourself loads of time to complete even simple tasks. You will save money, but smaller local garages do good work at competitive prices. So if you don't like fixing, they might be an option.

Other than that, shout if you need a hand ..........

PS To answer your original question, a yearly service contains nothing you cant do yourself, if you have the commitment and time

Thanks for that.

I have bought a jack and props and a wrench for the oil filter. So i am tooled up i hope.

Will be doing the oil next week i think. I will ask if i get stuck, but the haynes is pretty comforting to have.

Before you do the fuel filter, post a pic of it (or the front of the block).....
depending on the type, they can be tricky until you've done a couple.
John :)

Sponsored Links
... and when you refit the filter only do it up hand tight, that way you should be able to remove it without a wrench next time.

Peter

Back