DIY Van Service?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a quote for a major service on the van...

£450 :rolleyes:

Is it that hard to service yourself?

I don't have any of the gear, but I see you can get a trolly jack / axle stands / oil filter spanner / spark plug wrench / sump bucket for less than £40.00 from tool station. Then all the filters / plugs / fresh oil / brake fluid etc can't cost too much?

Can you buy / download servicing guides for specific models? (Citroen Dispatch 2.0Hdi). Is it just a case of getting a Haynes, then making sure your RAC cover is valid?

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
A major service could include stripping and cleaning the brakes, replacing coolant and brake fluid as well as the usual oil and filters replacement etc.... and so on, so the labour time mounts up.
Largely it depends on how many miles your van has covered. At a specific time interval, the timing belt will also need renewal so find out what is likely to be done for the price quoted.
Replacing oil and filters etc is a job that most people can do but when brakes etc are involved you need a certain degree of expertise.
John :)

the quote was from an independent garage...

ok i will start getting some more detail on what will be done etc...

my last MOT gave an advisory on all 4 discs / pads so if a major service involves cleaning the brakes, I might as well just get them all swapped out.

there goes my tax rebate :(

Sponsored Links
As an advisory note was given, the brakes must have been working ok at the time of the test.
What the tester probably saw was extensive grooving, rust or wear on the discs as they are visible from underneath, hence the hint that they would need doing for the next time.
If you shop around on ebay you'll find a full set of quality discs plus pads for less than £150 - you'll not beat that.

cheers,

but if a "certain degree of expertise" is involved in dealing with the brakes, hadn't I best just leave it to the garage to source and fit them? Is it normal / acceptable practice to bring in a vehicle with some parts sourced elsewhere?

I suppose I'd better get a quote from the garage to see how much they will charge for materials!

Have to agree with whats been said, if brakes involved get the garage to do it, £450.00 may seem expensive now, but it will seem awfully cheap if you trash the van and can't work because of a failure somewhere.

Naturally I completely agree with whats been said too - it all depends on knowledge / skill levels.
Improper brake work could be massively unsafe and put lives at risk - but leaving a sump plug loose could also be fatal for the engine!
If you want to provide the parts yourself, do check with the independant garage first.

Every man needs to earn from his trade.

Have your van serviced by the garage with MOT, then you know that for the next 12 months you should have a van that starts every morning taking you to work and earning you money.

The bill from the garage will just come off your tax bill. Piece of mind is a great thing!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back