Can't find stop tap inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't find stop tap
I was looking for my stop tap in my new house but I can't find it anywhere!

I tried under the sink in the kitchen, downstairs bathroom, upstairs bathroom, under the stairs (there is only a pipe with no end and a handle the size of my finger, this couldn't be it?)

I haven't got access to the attic yet as I dont have a ladder, is it possible the stop tap is in there with the boiler? Or is possible I don't have a stop tap at all?

I have an outside stop clock, but I want to install a water meter and the water company need the location of the stop tap first.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that is the Water Boards problem to sort out the Stop Cock if they are going to fit a Water Meter,
They are going to have to fit an isolating valve either side of the meter for future maintenance.

Sponsored Links
The water company should really shut the water off at the outside, and fit a water meter out there. With 2 valves before and after the meter or 1 before or after, depending on the weather, share prices and if the guys had had their wheetabix that day or not. It allows them, access to read meter etc, even if you're not in.
First place i'd look for the mains stop cock wld be in kitchen around where the kitchen sink/ pipework is situated. Trace the cold pipe back from under the kitchen sink if you can, see where it goes.

It allows them, access to read meter etc, even if you're not in.
Most water companies fit them with pulsed output and a remote reading facility fitted outside.
water-meters-work-3.1-800X800.jpg

Electric_Meter_Reader.jpg

It allows them, access to read meter etc, even if you're not in.
Most water companies fit them with pulsed output and a remote reading facility fitted outside.
water-meters-work-3.1-800X800.jpg

Electric_Meter_Reader.jpg

Thames Water don't - they fit outside in the footway ( and yes, I do know the OP is in Scotland - just making the observation re. most water companies).

No problem. If it was someone else's post I'd have probably picked up on it, pedant that I am.
24.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back