Location of stop tap

25 Feb 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I already know this is going to be a stupid question but I have to ask: When I moved in to my property I was told the stop tap was under the sink. Now I've come to need to use it (so that I can drain the toilet cistern to fix the flush mechanism), I'm not convinced it is there. What is under the sink is not what stop taps I have ever seen before look like... I attach an image - could either of these be the stop tap???

If not, I have looked in the downstairs bathroom and we don't really have a hall. Basically I cannot find anything else anywhere in the house so now I am a little concerned.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
No, they look like washing machine/dishwasher taps,

Check the pipe going into your toilet cistern it may have an isolating valve on it, or something similar, by turning the screw head to the Horizontal position turns the water off.

I had a similar situation. The stopcock was actually in a cupboard in the hall, where the kitchen of the house used to be originally when it was built. If your house has been remodeled at sometime, check the location where the kitchen used to be.

Or maybe just the sink has been moved at some time, but the stopcock remains in the old position. It maybe behind a cupboard now.

Could you check with one of your neighbours, if their house is of the same design to see where theirs is.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help so far. I'll have another proper look tonight and see what I can find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local