How to turn water off in downstairs toilet

D88

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Went to replace dual flushing valve in the downstairs toilet but smashed the cermaic cistern in doing so. Can't afford a new toilet right now, so how do you stop water from running? It's currently off as I turned the tap off under the kitchen sink, but this obviously stops the kitchen sink from being used. Is there anyway to stop the water from running from the downstairs toilet only?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Should have just got a plumber to replace the valve instead!

Sponsored Links
If youre lucky you will have something like a ballofix valve on the pipe to your toilet. Failing that you could try fitting one or tying up the ballcock assuming it has one.

How badly smashed is it? Disconnect the current supply pipe and bang a stop end on it, or an iso valve as as rochdale mentions. That being said and without wishing to sound patronising, if you need to ask how to safely isolate an appliance, I wouldn't be trying to do the work on it TBH.

Yeah it was pretty stupid to be fair, regret trying to do it in the first place.

Sponsored Links
So are u saying there is something i can buy to block this as obviously this is where the water is coming from.

Attachments

• 15159439916731820244957.jpg
    15159439916731820244957.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 169
Also have these 2 pipes. Have tried turning them but neither stop the water when turning the tap under the kitchen sink back on.

Attachments

• 15159441529431302453367.jpg
    15159441529431302453367.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 181
As @rochdalegas mentions, the other end of that flexi pipe at the wall is an isolation valve. Use a plain screwdriver and turn the screwdriver slot 90 degress to the run of the valve

Thank you both for your help. Did twist the valve earlier but not at 90 degrees. This has now done the trick! Will definitley seek professional help in the future. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back