Can't find stop valve to stop water supply to fix leaking tap

17 Jul 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I've had a dripping tap in my kitchen for a couple of weeks now, but I've still not been able to locate the stop valve to isolate the water supply, so the plumber can replace the mixer tap to stop the drip.

I live in a flat & in the survey I did when I bought the property, it says there's only 1 stop valve (in the bathroom). I've turned this off but it only isolates the supply for the bathroom, not the kitchen as well.

I got in a plumber & even they couldn't identify where it could be. We looked in the kitchen, outside of my flat in communal areas. Is there anywhere else it may be?

It's just a bit annoying, but is not leaking under the sink, so not to the property below.

I'm a bit baffled on why I can't find another stop valve, as there is definitely one, as I had another leak that got fixed a number of years ago.

Any ideas? as I'd really like to get this fixed :)

Sponsored Links
Can you ask the person above or below where their stop cock is?
Sponsored Links
Have a look in the kitchen, we have some that are fed from a booster in a basement and there’s 2 stopcock’s in the kitchen, one for the bathroom via a cupboard and one for the kitchen.

Also, see if you can trace the pipework from the bathroom one?
There are products available that will allow you to install an aladin valve without isolating the water supply, not ideal but worth using if you need to fix it.
I'm surprised your plumber didn't do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local