Can't get spacing right on tiles when they are down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Very much a beginner tiler and went at my first job today. When I placed my tiles on the adhesive, I found it difficult to manoeuvre the tile so that it butts up against the spacer. Also, a lot of adhesive came up through the joints.

All in all, quite a frustrating and messy first day.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Is this floor or walls?
What area in m2 are you covering?
Sounds like you have too much adhesive or you have a deep fill that is making the tiles slip.

Floor, about 4m squared cover. Does the use of a notched trowel not automatically regulate the amount of adhesive? Thanks

It will to an extent, what size notch on trowel and what type of addy you using?
On floors I tend to trowel with 20mm notch, using a thick powder mix.

Sponsored Links
It will to an extent, what size notch on trowel and what type of addy you using?
On floors I tend to trowel with 20mm notch, using a thick powder mix.

Thanks. I am using a 10mm notch, which I thought was big. When shopping for a trowel the biggest I found was 10mm, with most being 4/5/6/8 mm

I am using a powered flexible adhesive, can't recall the brand right now. I mixed it to a thick consistency, almost as thick as peanut butter, but not quite.

Perhaps it is just my technique.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back