Can't log on to Windows 2000 pro.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got my hands on an old PC from my work. It has Windows 2000 professional installed. I have the discs and book that go with it too. It's not been used for a long time and it's last user is no longer with us. So, when it asks for the password I can't log on.
Is there a way past the log on screen?

Sponsored Links
Hi Stivino,

I've not had this problem before, but if you have all the install disc to Windows 2000 and the key which comes with it, reinstalling the operating system isn't hard. Just boot from the install CD, usually.

Alternatively, you can check this out:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

They apparently offer some software on CD (burn it from an image) that will go through some processess and edit forgotton passwords! Let me know if you get a problem.

I've got all the correct discs, book and numbers that I need. I had a look at the link but not quite sure how to go about it.

Sponsored Links
If you want to go the password-recovery route, you'll need to download their software which is stored in an image file (like a zip file) that burns directly onto a blank CD using special software. Here's a free version of that burning software

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Then download the image file of their recovery program from their site, and burn to a blank CD.

Then with the password-recovery CD inserted in the windows 2000 computer, turn it on (or restart it) and it should boot from the CD and give you a menu with some prompts to follow. It should then ask what you want the new password to be.

Give that lot a go, but if it fails, you may as well just reinstall windows. Even better if you have an XP cd around instead of windows 2000 again. And that's if you don't need any of the old users files which were on the computer in the first place.

None of those links seem to be for W2000. I don't care about recovering the password, the main thing is that I can get round it somehow so that I can get into the PC. I had bother getting into the BIOS too but I think it was keyboard trouble so I'm going to take in a USB keyboard tomorrow.

In that case I would just reinstall windows from an installation disc, with the appropriate serial key for it. Put the CD in, turn on the computer or restart it, and follow the directions. If there's no data you want saving on the computer, just tell it to wipe anything old that it finds.

But would it not be easier to get round the password and just delete the junk? I' only going to use it to keep a few office type things on, spreadsheets etc, so I don't need a bells and whistles operating system.

Google Ultimate Boot CD Utility on there to change the passwords. Change the password to the administrator account and away you go.

Also, make sure that you are logging onto the local machine and that it is not trying to contact a domain.

another program that will be easy to use to get the passwords is powersuite by spotmau- actually it will let you reset the password

http://www.spotmau.com

boot from the cd and spotmau will walk you thro the process

Sponsored Links
Back