win xp log on

B

breezer

i have no idea why, but my pc has now started to ask me to "log on"
when i first switch on

i have removed the option as to which user i am

but it now comes up with a screen asking what i want to do , and asks for a password, since it has no password, i press enter and it boots ok.

it can't be my new graphics card, because its still in the shop (i havent brought one yet)

system restore restores to where it was before i asked it to restore (it says no changes were made)

up untill friday i jsut pushed the on button, wait for it to boot and it came on with the desktop screen with all my little icons as it always did,

then it cahneged to a screen with which user icon (it only had one) so like i said i dleted that, but why the change and how do i put it back?

Sponsored Links
Have you accidently changed the setting for how users log on and off? Check under user accounts in control panel.

sorry for the delay.

I have just checked there was some account i had not heard of, so i dleted it.

will let you know outcome

breezer said:
I have just checked there was some account i had not heard of, so i dleted it.
What was the name of the unheard of account breezer?

Sponsored Links
What particular advantage do you find that Vista has over, say, Windows XP, Crafty?

:cry: still no use, the only account it has is mine, i dont remeber the name of the deleted account.

It used to boot strait into windows without asking for anything

Start -> Run

Type "control userpasswords2", click OK

Untick "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

Enter your username and password (if you had a password), click OK, click OK.

Reboot.

:cool:

i did that, and i nearly died of a heart attack when it rebooted, i lost everything (so i thought)

I now have another account i cant get rid of, administrator, how do i get rid of that?

I did try control panel>users but adminisrator account does not show

breezer said:
i did that, and i nearly died of a heart attack when it rebooted, i lost everything (so i thought)
What did the computer do that made think that you'd lost everything?

I now have another account i cant get rid of, administrator, how do i get rid of that?
The Administrator account is a core components of the Window XP operating system, so you can't, and shouldn't try, to delete it.

I did try control panel>users but adminisrator account does not show
Praise the Lord, or you might have done some serious damage.

You need to stop changing things and establish the correct way forward first, or you'll end up with a mess that nobody will be able to sort out with remote advice.

I hear what you say, trouble is my normal account is an admiistrator acount, and the new account that is only called administrator has only just appeared after i followed the instrcutions.

i nearly had a heart attack because i thought everything had gone, no little icons, but it turned out to be the fact i was logged in as administrator which i have never had before

i feel a format coming on, but i dont want to.

I have no idea how it started but now its worse since it wants to keep starting as administrator (that is to say when i reboot. as you would when you go to bed then get up next day and switch on)

so that is why i want to remove this new administartor account so it will only boot as say breezer (thats not what its called but you get the idea)

So, do you get the Welcome screen or the Windows classic User/password box?

Which do you want?

TBH i am not sure what it is called so i will describe it

its a big long box with 2 lines

top one is for user name

bottom one is for password

I nevr used to get this untill recently, hence my enquiry

i am not going to do it now, but about 30 mins ago i had the option of
being me or administrator in the user box.

oh, which ever is slected it says please wait, loading your personal settings, thhen it does.

what i used to have up until about 10 days ago was nothing at all, push the computer on button, wait while splash screen does its thing, then up comes my desktop with lots of nice icons etc.

that is what i would like back. (if at all possible)

Ok, go to control panel and then user accounts. What users are listed? Is the one you want there? If so, note the exact name of it and then click start and then logoff. When the user/password dialog appears, type in the name you noted above and then (if no password), press Enter to login.

If the account you expect is not listed, it's probably the one you deleted. :cry:

Edit.

or do as Stevesey said above

Start -> Run

Type "control userpasswords2", click OK

Untick "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

Enter your username and password (if you had a password), click OK, click OK.

reboot

but type the noted username.

breezer said:
I have no idea how it started but now its worse since it wants to keep starting as administrator (that is to say when i reboot. as you would when you go to bed then get up next day and switch on)

When you followed my instructions "adminstrator" would have been the default account when prompted for the username and password to use - sounds like you didn't overwrite this with your own account. If you have a second go you'll need to tick the check box in order to untick it and have it prompt you for the username/password to use at boot.

All this option does is allow you to chose the default account that will automatically login when the PC boots (the way you had the machine set up a few days ago - before Mr Gates reliable software decided you need some excitement in your life).

Sponsored Links
Back