Can't open my boiler inlet valve - I'm sooo cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my heating and hot water haven't come on today and I'm very cold! I checked my combi boiler and it has no pressure. I read up on what to do, and it all looked so easy on youtube. I saw that my filling loop was left attached by the man who installed the boiler, so it seemed to be a case of simply turning the tap and letting some water in until it repressurised.

However, the tap doesn't turn. It's a black plastic tap with a screw in the centre. I can't move it. My partner can't move it. I would normally try using pliers but it's plastic and I don't want to damage it. I think perhaps the heating engineer tightened it beyond my capacity to turn it, and I don't really want to call anyone out for something this minor.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I loosen the screw, or will that cause a flood of biblical proportions?

Sponsored Links
From your description it sounds like the rubbish worcester bosch invention.

The key is plastic and is removable. So pulls out. It sounds as if it hasn't been inserted far enough in.

I can only suggest jiggling it a bit. It might need a firm push. If you can
remove it I would suggest a little grease on it.

Another way of adding water to the system is to attach a hose pipe
to your drain valve with the aid of a jubilee clip.
Unscrew the drain valve so it is open and draining then attach the hose pipe
and connect to outside tap then open the outside tap so there is a slow flow
of mains into the system.

Thanks so much for your reply!

It's a Sabre HE Plus boiler. I've wiggled and jiggled and tickled the key or tap or whatever it is, but it won't move at all in any direction.

I'll see if I can locate the drain valve...

Worcester keys are white. The description fits a normal isolator with a black lever held on by a grub screw. If so release the screw and remove lever, you'll be left with a shaft which can be turned with a small spanner. Don't force it though. Failing that you'll have to spend some money getting it rectified.

No disrespect OP, but the first rule of DIY advice is that it's only of use to those who can help themselves.

Sponsored Links
You're right that forcing the plastic tap on the loop will probably break it. Try removing the screw that holds it on, pull the plastic tap off, then turn the square head of the valve under tap anti clockwise until water flows into boiler. Use an adjustable spanner/pliers. If it is really seized though, it needs replacing rather than using massive force on it.

Turn off valve when up to just over 1 bar. You won't get a flood by removing the screw/tap head.

Thanks Tibbot and Whitespirit66! That was very helpful.

I went down for another look (for some reason the boiler is in the basement) and it turns out the screw is rusty and slightly stripped (no idea why; I haven't ever touched it). So it's not a DIY project any more; I have to get someone who's qualified to sort it out!

For me the first rule of DIY is knowing when you can't help yourself :D

Where are you OP? If you're not a million miles from me I'll come have a look over the weekend. It just sounds like a faulty filling loop valve...... ;)

If the valve is already knackered, you haven't got anything to lose by trying to turn it with some pliers now.

Go slowly though, you don't want to get it fully open, and then not be able to close it!

Thanks Richardthe3rd and JonoH! I tried pliers but the plastic started to disintegrate so I thought better of it.

In the end I asked my ex-husband to have a look and he turned it on like, well, a tap! So it was just too tight for me. Damn those double-X chromosomes!

Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back