Cant read my floppy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have saved a .xls onto a floppy it now wont open. I have tried virus scans. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If other floppies work then your file is corrupt, probably due to a faulty floppy.

If other floppies dont work and you havnt been recently into the guts of the pc then its either try cleaning the floppy drive with a drive cleaner or buy a new floppy drive which is probably roughly the same price!

Hope that helps
pc

Floppys do age. Always best to have the data on them backed up elsewhere.

You can get apps on the net to help you recover data, but the level of success isn't guarantied. One gets better success with text files as one can often correct the corrupted bits by eye/hand, which you can't really do if the file has binary data, as a spreadsheet would.

www.grc.com do a useful (although not cheap) app called SpinRite, which although really for hard disks, might be a good option for floppies also ?

Do try the disk in other drives first though, just in case, and back up if you manage to read it.

Unfortunatly the data was not saved to a hard drive. It dosnt seem to matter how many times I tell people to save there work as they go. They dont. The disk has been tried in the original pc, but it cant be read there. Thanks for advice.
Maybe the girl will remember the next time as she now has to re-enter all the data.

Sponsored Links
Forget floppy disks, for the price of a box of disks you can get a usb memory stick. Much more resiliant and holds a lot more data. ;)

Bet she's relieved.

Mind you, I often find that it can take longer and more work to recover something than to start again !

Back