Can't remove leaking washing machine valve for replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, moved into an old bungalow which has many problems, one of which is the washing machine.

Firstly no water was reaching the machine, so upon realising the valve had been turned off I turned the blue tap and everything kicked into action. However, there is a very persistant drip from the valve so I wanted to remove it to either replace it or clean out and wrap some PTFE tape around it. Thing is, it won't come off. It's not stuck, it readily unscrews, in fact I turned it anti-clockwise multiple times (and clockwise just to make sure) and it just won't come away from the pipe.

I am really inexperienced with anything DIY-related so hoping it's something stupid that I'm doing and it's an easy fix. Can anyone offer some advice please? Picture below for reference. TIA.

IMG_7382.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a push fit, try pulling the white bit into the valve and see if it pulls off. If not you may need to loosen the next nut along and renew things from there.

I did try pulling it as well, but was maybe a little too tentative in fear of breaking it. Got a wash on now, will have another look once it's done. Thanks.

I may be stating the obvious ,but you do know that the water needs to be turned off , probably by the mains water stopcock, before trying to remove that valve ?

Sponsored Links
The push fit fitting may require a tool ( small C shaped piece of plastic) to remove.Cannot be repaired so just replace the complete valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back