Can't remove old Anti-roll bar linkage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace the rear Anti-roll bar linkage (pic 1)

When I use the rachet and adjustable spanner to undo the existing bolt and screw, the bolt keeps turning and wont undo.

I think that the nut at the top has either rusted, snapped off etc

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get it off.

Pics 2 and 3 show the brand new part when assembled and disassembled.

Attachments

• Rear ARBDL 1.jpg
    Rear ARBDL 1.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 74
  • ARBL2.jpg
    ARBL2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 59
  • ARBL3.jpg
    ARBL3.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Time to break out the hacksaw.
Thank, but I have to admit, i am too lazy for that kind of manual labour.

Grinder >> Hacksaw

1. Gas torch, to get the nut hot.
2. Angle grinder to cut the bolt.

3. Have you tried holding the upper end (bolt?), with a pair of good stillsons?

Gas torch.. Angle grinder.. Now you're talking my language.

Should I cut the head of the bolt? Or should I go more central, like where the rubber is?

The top of the bolt, where the nut is threaded, so my worry is if I cut the bolt, will it be impossible to get the remaining part of the bolt out?

I would drill it out, but I have no space.

Can you grip the top nut?
If not, grinder's time.
No, I can't grip the top nut

I am not even sure whether the nut is there as I have not seen it. It could also be rusted or sheered off in some way.

Where is the most effective part to use the grinder? I don't want to make a mess of this or worse cut, part of the arm/suspension

Gas torch.. Angle grinder.. Now you're talking my language.

Should I then cut the head of the bolt? Or should I go more central, like where the rubber is?
Cutting the bolt anywhere along it's length, including where it passes through the rubber, will do it. Getting the bolt out should then be easy, dependant on the space above the upper end?

Why can you not simply get a spanner on the nut, which I assume is hidden at the upper end?

Cutting the bolt anywhere along it's length, including where it passes through the rubber, will do it. Getting the bolt out should then be easy, dependant on the space above the upper end?

Why can you not simply get a spanner on the nut, which I assume is hidden at the upper end?
This.

Looks like a focus or similar. Shouldn't take much to cut the bolt.

Top nut has probably "sunk". Good fitting deep socket or cranked spanner maybe

Impact wrench would probably make this easier - as long as you have something secure on the top end.

Got it out and replaced the part. Thank you.

Used blow torch to heat up bolt/melt rubber

Then cut bolt with grinder as you advised. Then used utility bar/crow bar to create space to remove the remaining bolt/plastic.

I didn't see a nut on the old bolt.

Last edited:
Got it out and replaced the part. Thank you.

Used blow torch to heat up bolt/melt rubber

Then cut bolt with grinder as you advised. Then used utility bar/crow bar to create space to remove the remaining bolt/plastic.

I didn't see a nut on the old bolt.

That under body looks as if it desperately needs something doing to it soon, to help prevent the rot.

Sponsored Links
Back