Capital of Britain is Thriving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hope can be hard to find on the seafront in Skegness, where the flatlands of Lincolnshire shelve imperceptibly into the grey North Sea, and an economic pall and a sense of broken promises hang over the town. In Britain’s “capital of Brexit”, the issue of migration continues to dominate, seven years after the town voted to “take back control” of the country’s borders.

Meanwhile the impact of the cost of living crisis is everywhere. Skegness and nearby Boston are the only places in Britain, according to one opinion poll, that still think Brexit is a good idea, but support has fallen sharply and a sense of disillusionment about politics in general is rife ahead of local elections on May 4. “I voted for Boris Johnson because I wanted Brexit — but the Tories won’t get my vote any more,” said Chris Hughes, a retired lorry driver, over a coffee in the Indulgence café in Skegness high street.

Sponsored Links
That region also has a lower life expectancy than most of the rest of England...

Voter renewal (y)

I can't read the above as it's behind a paywall but, as someone who's actually been to Skeg-Vegas recently, probably unlike the author of the above, I can state that Skegness is a hugely successful town.

Business is absolutely booming. You won't find any posh people or luxury restaurants, but they don't care as there's a lot more money to be made from selling chips and beer to the massive numbers of working class holidaymakers that fill the place.

Skegness is one of UK tourism's biggest successes.

I can't read the above as it's behind a paywall but, as someone who's actually been to Skeg-Vegas recently, probably unlike the author of the above, I can state that Skegness is a hugely successful town.

Business is absolutely booming. You won't find any posh people or luxury restaurants, but they don't care as there's a lot more money to be made from selling chips and beer to the massive numbers of working class holidaymakers that fill the place.

Skegness is one of UK tourism's biggest successes.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't give any weight to some stupid survey by the few snobby old biddies that actually read "Which?" magazine.

Some actual facts - a couple of years out of date but I can't find newer. Still relevant though...

It's cheap, cheerful, extremely busy and full of working class tourists. Exactly the sort of thing that Which? magazine readers hate.

Just try looking at the place on Google Earth, the entire area around is a sea of static caravans. There are current plans to rebuild the pier, something that probably hasn't happened elsewhere for decades.

I wouldn't give any weight to some stupid survey by the few snobby old biddies that actually read "Which?" magazine.

Some actual facts - a couple of years out of date but I can't find newer. Still relevant though...

It's cheap, cheerful, extremely busy and full of working class tourists. Exactly the sort of thing that Which? magazine readers hate.

Just try looking at the place on Google Earth, the entire area around is a sea of static caravans. There are current plans to rebuild the pier, something that probably hasn't happened elsewhere for decades.
I thought the area was complaining about not being able to make ends meet as tourism figures were falling so much

Nothing to do with the hotels full of asylum seekers then ?
There are five hotels in use for them, probably less than many other towns, but this one happens to have hit the headlines. Five among hundreds of other hotels.

I'm sure the news will have had a negative effect on bookings, but I doubt it's going to bring Skeggy to its knees.

Honestly, we went for a day trip last year and it was absolutely packed and buzzing. It's nothing like the many other desolate seaside towns that Britain has, it's a massive exception.

I’m sure labour would have sorted immigration
The Tories have managed to make things worse in their 12 years in power and that's with a bunch of Right wing Brexers at the helm, for a good chunk of that. It will take a while to fix all that is wrong with the UK presently and that's with sensible people in charge.

The Tories have managed to make things worse in their 12 years in power and that's with a bunch of Right wing Brexers at the helm, for a good chunk of that. It will take a while to fix all that is wrong with the UK presently and that's with sensible people in charge.
I used to vote Labour, but JC put a stop to that.

Sponsored Links
Back