Capital or custodial?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So today Zacarias Moussaoui has pleaded guilty to conspiracy in connection to the 11/9 attacks in the US.

The US government is crying for blood. Many people suggest that the death penalty will merely play into the hands of those he conspired with.

What do you all think?

Personally, I believe a death penalty is about the worst thing they could do.

1) It will make him a martyr, thus putting one more face on the leaflets the extremists use
2) How can you give a death penalty for "conspiracy"? Guy Fawkes was caught with a sh*tload of gunpowder and a taper.

Surely Dubbya should allow a very wise, learned and intelligent judge to decide whether or not a death penalty is a good idea.

Come on, I know we all have differing opinions on this one!

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
So today Zacarias Moussaoui has pleaded guilty to conspiracy in connection to the 11/9 attacks in the US.

The US government is crying for blood. Many people suggest that the death penalty will merely play into the hands of those he conspired with.

What do you all think?

Personally, I believe a death penalty is about the worst thing they could do.

1) It will make him a martyr, thus putting one more face on the leaflets the extremists use
2) How can you give a death penalty for "conspiracy"? Guy Fawkes was caught with a sh*tload of gunpowder and a taper.

Surely Dubbya should allow a very wise, learned and intelligent judge to decide whether or not a death penalty is a good idea.

Come on, I know we all have differing opinions on this one!
Pleading guilty certainly put an air of matyrdom on it, it is a way of saying yes i did it so what, but i think he would be a matyr to the cause regardless of sentence. One thing is clear you either set a precedence or not otherwise it makes a mockery of what went before, so although i don't believe that the death penalty is effective in this case it may be the only way to keep the status quo in the legal system there.

Tesco bacon packing dept. -- CUSTODIAL !! ----- Must be made to LIVE to regret the day.
The shortest of shrifts, but just short of matyrdom
P

well I don't like the death penalty even tho he's admitted the crime, we've set higher standards for ourselves as a civilised society and to spare his life would show his ilk and the likes that we are above their cruel, barbaric ideals. but if he is to be bumped off they should do it quietly with no publicity just slip a pill into his drink and send him on his way.

Sponsored Links
Well, I suppose "life imprisonment, solitary confinement" would mean pretty much that. No-one would know if he was dead or alive after that. No using him as a "martyr", no using him as a figurehead.

Back