Capped Central Heating Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New here... so ello!!

I'll get straight to the point, In my current house there are only really 2 main rads downstairs, both of these in the lounge, the kitchen (A very large open plan room) has nothing, and especially in the mornings can be rather chilly, and I believe the rad may have been removed at some point purely to save space in the "new" kitchen... long before my time, and appearing out of the wall just next to the Island (Brekkie Bar) where there is currently no room for a rad is two pipes, both capped off and looking like they are of the same ilk as the rest of the CH system.

My question is... Is there any EASY way to tell if I could uncap these pipes and if they would still be clear / operational without investing in a water plinth heater (http://kitchenheaters.co.uk/water.html) before discovering they are not, I am no plumber although I can usually turn my hand to anything but have NEVER done any work on plumbing of CH.

Even after several hours of the heating being on these piped never heat up, but my logical brain knows that they would never heat up if there is no flow through them... I don't own the house, and thus although the landlord has said I can do anything I want, I don't want to be spending masses when all I would *like* to do is extend the pipes under the unit and pop in one of the above wet plinth heaters, this would be more than enough just to take the chill off the room on very cold mornings.

Cheers,
Jay.

Sponsored Links
The pipes won't heat up as there will be no flow through them, ie nowhere for the hot water to go, one is flow the other is return, connect the 2 together and fire up the heating and then they will get hot

How are they capped off? If with a compression cap then slightly loosening them will confirm whether they are live or not. More difficult if the caps are soldered. Either way you will have to drain to attach your new heater to those pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back