Capping a chimney pot

M

marsaday

I have taken off my chimney pots to relay some loose bricks. three of the pots are now unused and so i wondered about capping then off.

I have seen the little metal hats you can buy, but wanted to know what you thought of this idea.

Before i re-bed the pots i will lay slate over the opening and allow a 2" gap in the middle for air flow. This will seal up 90% of the opening. i will then put the pot back on, without a little hat. Thus i save £17 x 3.

Is this ok or a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
A cap prevents rain entering and causing damp at the base of your chimney. If you leave the top of your chimney pot open, rain will still fall in and dribble through the gap in the slate. It might not be damp now, but after your proposed mod, with the same amount of rain and less air who knows.

A cap would also prevent birds nesting in the pot.

The chimney should also have a vent where the fire was removed at the base to allow a flow of air through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back