Capping a double skin garden wall cheaply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built about 35m of garden wall, about 600mm high. It's double skin with overall width of 300mm for the two walls.

I want to render the whole lot but I'm wondering how best to 'cap' the cavity between the two walls to take the render. The walls will be like those rendered white square topped walls you see in villas abroad.

I have thought of several options, but none of them are that appealing:

1: fill the cavity with concrete
2: buy some cheap 300mm wide capping stones and render over them
3: use some old internal floor tiles I have left

Is there a better cheaper/quicker option?

Sponsored Links
Wrap the lot in expamet? Not necessarily cheap though.

Would 300mm x 600mm concrete slabs not be cheapest strongest option? They would accept render and take knocks.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the suggestions

I considered off-the-shelf concrete capping stones, but this worked out a lot of money for the number I needed. I then thought I could just cast some myself for a lot cheaper. still might do this.

on the other hand I might just fill the void with concrete since I don't need to worry about moisture travel.

ideally I was looking for a strong-ish product like cement board I could cut down to size and use to bridge the gap and to take the render, but I've not found anything suitable

I guess most people must fill the void or simply cast the whole wall in concrete with shuttering rather than built two skins of block :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back