Capping chimney(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We've just moved into an old house (end terrace) which has four chimney pots (the chimney is on the end wall). Only one of the fireplaces are used, in the front room there is a wood burning stove, but the other three fireplaces have been bricked up and plastered.

We noticed a few little damp spots forming on the chimney breast just below the ceiling above one of the bricked up fireplaces. We were advised that the problem was that when bricking up the fireplace, there was no vent (airbrick) used to allow the air to circulate, and so damp has formed in the chimney. So to remedy this, we drilled a few holes at the bottom of the bricked up part of the fireplace and stuck a vent over it. First of all, was this a good idea?

Now, I'm looking to get the chimney's that aren't being used capped (with a cowl, is that the right piece of kit?), to stop rain and birds getting in, but to keep air circulating down it.

Is this the correct thing to be doing to get rid of the problem we are seeing?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
So to remedy this, we drilled a few holes at the bottom of the bricked up part of the fireplace and stuck a vent over it. First of all, was this a good idea?
Better than nothing I suppose, it maybe enough, maybe not; you really need proper vents in there.

Now, I'm looking to get the chimney's that aren't being used capped (with a cowl, is that the right piece of kit?), to stop rain and birds getting in, but to keep air circulating down it.

Is this the correct thing to be doing to get rid of the problem we are seeing?
Hopefully.
http://www.birdstop.co.uk/c_cap_disused_chimney_cap.asp
or similar

Hi Richard,

Thanks forth reply. What do you mean by "proper vents"? Is there a specific type or way to vent a fireplace? Also thanks for the link, that's exactly what I'm after.

Thanks.

You are spot on, blocked up fireplaces must be vented to stop damp.

Just buy a standard vent, one of the ones that can't be shut off and make sure they aren't being sealed up.

Also chimney caps are a must to stop the rain going down inside.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot guys for the replies, very helpful and much appreciated. Going to call a few people tomorrow about getting the caps fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back