capping downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a downstairs toilet where the soil waste goes in to a plastic pipe straight through concrete floor and in to drains,

Currently going to replace this and use room for something else(washing machine),how do i cape this thing of so it wont smell etc?=

Sponsored Links
Lift manhole cover; flush to identify branch from WC.; flush other WCs to check that there isn't an upstream manhole where they merge.

Once identified, remove WC and seal off both ends of the branch with concrete.

Sponsored Links
If you wish to retain the drain to run the washing machine waste into you could cut the soil pipe at floor level and fit an internal reducer to accept the 40mm waste from the washing machine trap, otherwise as Softus says.

Screw up a newspaper, put it in a carrier bag and push this about 9" or so down the soil pipe before the concrete to support the bottom of your 'plug' until it sets.

I found a 'lost' manhole by stomping about in likely places until I found a bit of ground that sounded 'hollow' ......It was under about 6" of compacted gravel in the drive. If there are similar houses to yours in the street have a look where their manholes are.... That may give you a clue where to start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back