Downstairs Cloakroom Smell......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

New on here and seemed like a great place to come get some help/advice.

Bit of a long one so bear with me please!

We bought our current house 1 year ago, they day we moved in the house stunk really bad from the sewers. When I went in the utility room the pipe where the washer waste was connected was just left open (no trap) anyway I connected the washer and (most) of the smell went away.

This left just a smelly downstairs cloakroom toilet. Anyway had a good look and couldn't see anything obvious, the smell then went and has been fine all winter (although does have an odd day where there is a faint smell of sewers).

Anyway, last week the drains backed up, Yorkshire water have been out and unblocked them so now they are all running freely again. However since that the smell in the downstairs toilet/cloakroom is back and as bad as ever.

Clearly going to need a plumber, but always like an idea of these things before someone comes and tries to remove all the cash from my wallet!

I believe the waste for the upstairs bathroom goes a different way to the waste from downstairs. The kitchen waste also goes a different way. Leaving me with the utility room waste and cloakroom waste going into the same drain.

The downstairs toilet waste pipe goes into the floor and out into the sewer at the side of the house, the waste from the sink goes through the wall and into the utility room where it then picks up the waste from the washer and then through the outside wall and down through a pipe into a drain which then goes into the same manhole as the downstairs toilet.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the toilet is flushing away properly and not blocked, the water in the pan should stop any smells. Are you sure there are no splits or holes in the pan connector or around the floor drain?

Is the toilet on floorboards? Could there be a leak underneath?

Do you have a stub stack?

Is there water in the basin trap?

Link to a similar old thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/soil-pipe-smelling-do-i-need-an-aav.364437/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, will have a read of that thread tonight.

Its possible the pan connector isn't sealed right, it looks ok but disappears under the floor in what looks like some black concertina type flexible joint?

The toilet is floor boards which are tiles.... so access just to have a look is limited/non existant.

I have no idea what a sub stack is? I am a little confused tho as I don't believe any of the waste pipes from this toilet/basin connect into the ones upstairs. If this is the case and im sure it is, surely is should be vented?

I think there is water in the basin trap, its one of these stainless looking items where it has a sleeve or something in the middle. I did try putting the plug in and bunging the overflow up with something to see if the smell improved but hasn't done.

What does confuse me is why I had this a year ago then went away, its actually only come back since the blocked drains were cleared, is it possible that the drains becoming blocked/partially blocked have aided this in some way and that's why I haven't had a smell?

Just want to get as far as with it or understand it as much as I can before a plumber starts wanting to take all the tiles off.......

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back