capping of hot and cold supply to bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First renovation project - eek! Please be gentle ;)

I need to try and cap off the hot and cold pipes coming up from the floor into our bathroom. This is serving the bath (old cast iron job) and a sink.

The toilet next door is served by a different pipe (probably coming off the same pipe under the floor) - but this needs to stay for now.

I want to strip out the bath (going to be fun!) and sink, so need to cap off both pipes. These will stay capped until the new bathroom goes in.

Is it simply a case of undoing a nut on the two pipes and fitting caps - anything else that I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'd cut the pipes and fit isolation valves. That way any problems are easily isolated and saves messing about

Or you could remove the taps via their pipe conections, remove the bath and basin, then refit the taps to the pipes temporarily. Ensure they are turned off. and support if required

To ease the removal of the cast iron bath you can break it up in position with a heavy hammer and put the bits out the front, they will disappear like magic. If you use this method cover the bath with a heavy blanket/cloth as the enamel shards which fly off can be dangerous

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back