Capping this boiler flue vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the gutters cleaned by someone and whilst there, they asked about this vent. This flue was originally where the old boiler was located downstairs. It's since been moved upstairs into the bathroom.

The pipe is a remnant and whilst it stops rain getting in, the cold still comes in. Everything above (and incl) the flange/skirt can be removed but what can I use to cap it off?

Attachments

• uroof1.png
    uroof1.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 377
Sponsored Links
You could look at "Chimney pot cap cowls" on ebay but you need to know the diameter and the material of the projecting pipe.
It might be worthwhile cutting/lowering the in-situ pipe?

I'm happy to remove the flue and cut the remaining pipe but then this leaves a hole in the roof that enters the utility room into the cupboard where the boiler used to exist. I was thinking of a cheap plastic (but weatherproof) plug that I could insert. The diameter of the pipe IIRC is six inches.

I didn't mean lowering or cutting below the roof surface - I merely meant reducing the height of the projection.
But total removal of the flue pipe would be the way to go - however, that would leave you with the problem of patching the roof.
The cap cowl's I recommended (they come in 6"D) will completely block and rain proof the top opening, & you could stuff any lower opening with whatever to prevent heat loss?

Sponsored Links
I was planning on removing the flue, capping off the top and then the cupboard that it was originally in could have a backing, with some insulation and a sheet of wood into the ceiling for insulation. Would then mean I could use the cupboard for storage.

So removed the flue and added a cap. It's obviously designed for a chimney but couldn't see other sizes.

IMG_1619.JPG

I've trimmed the excess tie off. Hopefully it stays put.

IMG_1620.JPG

This is the flue.

Why did you waste ££'s on a UFO?
As a temp job, you could have just removed the length, cut back, stuffed the flue with rags, put back in position. IMO

Why did you waste ££'s on a UFO?
As a temp job, you could have just removed the length, cut back, stuffed the flue with rags, put back in position. IMO
TBH it's what I thought about doing but a cap was suggested. Agree it looks way too big (and silly). Still have the old flue so happy to it down to size.

TBH it's what I thought about doing but a cap was suggested. Agree it looks way too big (and silly). Still have the old flue so happy to it down to size.

I think I would. It has only just occured to me that the UFO is designed to INCREASE flow through the flue, so you are probably worse off than where you started.
As well as looking weird.

From what I read, it's supposed to stop condensation issues. I didn't want rainwater entering the flue into the cupbord below.

The flue is frustrating. Don't know why the previous owners didn't remove it completely when they relocated the boiler.

Will try cutting the flue down to size and see what happens.

a bit of soil pipe with a mushroom cowl would probably do glued in the bitch mastic. you could the put a plug in the pipe to seal it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back